16. Unity, One Church


Read What jesus prayed for:

John 17:11 (NKJV) Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are.


Answer the following:
Christ prayed for unity. Does Jesus want us to be one as He and His Father are one?



Now Read:

I Corinthians 1:10-13 (NKJV) Now I plead with you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. 11 For it has been declared to me concerning you, my brethren, by those of Chloe’s household, that there are contentions among you. 12 Now I say this, that each of you says, “I am of Paul,” or “I am of Apollos,” or “I am of Cephas,” or “I am of Christ.” 13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul?

Is Christ divided?

Is God pleased with religious division?




I Corinthians 3:3-6 (NKJV) for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal? 5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, as the Lord gave to each one? 6 I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.


What do strife and division show about people? (Carnal means fleshly, worldly, evil)




Ephesians 1:22-23 (NKJV) And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.


Are Christ's body and the church the same in this passage?




Ephesians 4:4-5 (NKJV) There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; 5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism;

How many bodies or churches are there?




Matthew 16:16 (NKJV) Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

Matthew 16:18 (NKJV) And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.

How many churches did Jesus build?

Upon what did He build His church?